Project Manager · Systems Analyst · Business Solution Architect
Ms. Cable is an experienced business process designer and project manager. She enjoyed a successful corporate career in Information Technology consulting and has since pursued a number of occupations, all eventually leading to the establishment of her own website design and business consulting company in 2010. Her company successfully operates based out of her office in Ottawa, Ontario. Organized, client-focused and results-oriented, Kim is a seasoned problem solver and an articulate communicator.
Over 25 years in project management, systems development and business solution delivery
Kim began her career working for a large, global consulting firm. She worked primarily with the public service, consulting to both American and Canadian federal governments. Her experience and training focuses on process design, a specialty that transforms traditional corporate operations to more focused value-added activities – often through the use of technology. Kim has demonstrated superior leadership skills on several engagements large and small.
Kim was part of several eCommerce initiatives during the emergence of the dot-coms. This required her to understand, evaluate and build approaches to improve internet applications. This work not only gave Kim insight into new eBusiness models impacting corporations, it also gave her the opportunity to develop technology skills relative to internet-based business solutions.
A Keyboard & A Cup of Coffee
Owner and Web Designer
Business process design and e-commerce expertise made Kim’s company a unique offering to businesses wanting to maximize the potential of the Internet.
Various Boards of Directors
Executive Officer/ Board Director
Part-time work on several business and community-based organizations resulted in notable achievements under Kim’s leadership.
Manager and SAP Specialist
Kim led software development projects that developed and implemented technology solutions to improve clients’ productivity and effectiveness.
My Focus: Fitting all the pieces together to make everything work in the best possible way.
Bachelors of Science, Honours
Computing and Information Science
Skills and Training
A unique blend of large enterprise-wide systems integration together with with smaller e-business design and web development expertise.
- Project Management
- Systems Development – Life Cycle and Agile
- Business Process Analysis and Design
- Website Design and Development
Extensive use of:
- Microsoft Applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project, Visio)
- Google Applications (Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Gmail, Analytics, Groups)
- Various Apple Mac and iOS Apps
- Internet Browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer)
- Web Development Tools (WordPress, HTML5, CSS)
- Social Media Platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn)
- SAP ERP – Materials Management (MM) Production Planning (PP) and Sales & Distribution (SD)
- Canadian Federal Government
- Departments of Defense
- Departments of Public Works
- National Postal Organizations
- Not-for-Profit Organizations
- Small Business Operations
- Asset Management
- Customer Relationship Management
- Data Conversion
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
- Human Resource Management
- Inventory Management
- Materials Resource Planning
- Systems Performance Support
- Web Design and Development
- Business Case Management
- Business Writing and Presentations
- Change Management
- Client Management
- Communication Planning
- Issue Management
- Meeting Facilitation
- Organizational Improvement
- Proposal Development
- Process Design
- Risk Management
- Systems Requirements Analysis
- Systems Design
- Solution Planning
- Team Building
- Work Plan Development
I’ve Worked With…
Owner and Web Designer
A Keyboard & A Cup of Coffee was created to serve small businesses and organizations needing an online presence but who can not afford pricey technical support from traditional web agencies. She started attracting clients locally, then outside the National Capital Area. Kim’s company also supports clients requiring website maintenance after development. Kim specializes in dealing with clients who are not technically savvy, but want to manage their business processes using their website. In her typical work she:
- Determines requirements and effort/cost estimates for website proposals;
- Maps existing to future business processes for clients leveraging their web presence;
- Drafts work plans to determine effort and project completion, usually for multiple clients simultaneously;
- Designs/develops websites to unique client specifications, requirements and business style;
- Evaluates/refines written content and searches/creates graphics or imagery for web pages;
- Tests website functionality end-end and with interfacing apps and social media;
- Writes custom user manuals and develops training for clients to manage their own websites;
- Trouble-shoots issues, identifies concerns and monitors performance metrics for existing websites;
- Negotiates hosting and domain packages with Internet providers on behalf of clients.
A Keyboard & A Cup of Coffee is a recognized partner with many local businesses around Ottawa and beyond.
Executive Officer or Board Director (part-time)
Kim helped establish and lead several non-profit organizations. Rural Family Connections (RFC), for example, supports young rural families who have difficulty accessing family services that are more readily available in urban areas. Kim supported RFC by drafting articles of incorporation, developing marketing strategies, defining and writing job descriptions, developing orientation manuals and serving as a Board Director. Kim also created and managed an operational work plan that took RFC from incorporation to its first annual general meeting. After this time with RFC, Kim served on several executive committees who operated similarly in the communities they served. Her work on these Boards resulted in some notable achievements under her leadership.
- Osgoode Ward Business Association (Web Services Coordinator 2019) – Redesigned and improved website performance and increased social media presence. Streamlined member application and payment processes.
- Phoenix Business Exchange, Manotick (President 2018) – Created and led a new location chapter and attracted new members. Chaired weekly meetings and grew the business network.
- Manotick Business Breakfast Club (Chair, Treasurer 2015-17) – Led an established business networking group and designed process improvements for record keeping, payments and reporting. Instrumental in increasing chapter membership by 30%.
- Kars on the Rideau Public School Council (Chair 2015, Lunch Coordinator 2017-19) – Helped establish an informational website for council and introduced online banking processes. Installed and maintained a new lunch ordering system and managed a lunch program grossing over $125,000 annually in revenues.
- Manotick Public School Council (Secretary 2009-10, Vice-Chair 2011-12, Chair 2013) – Led and organized a small team of parents in fundraising initiatives. Led a campaign to raise over $70,000 for new play structures in under 18 months.
- Manotick Cooperative Nursery School (Registrar 2009-11) – Planned and organized a registration campaign for a community nursery school including advertising and payment processing.
- Greely Community Association (Vice-Chair 2005, Website Coordinator 2006) – Helped establish a new community website and fundraised for an annual winter carnival and Canada Day festival. Led and mediated community discussions on several municipal issues affecting constituents.
- Rural Family Connections (Director 2004-05) – helped lead the establishment of a new non-profit organization in rural Ottawa (see above).
- Metcalfe Cooperative Nursery School (Marketing 2004, VP 2006, Board Liaison 2007, Registrar 2008) – Led and directed a board of volunteer parents to run all business aspects of a local nursery school: registration, finances, marketing, fundraising and event planning.
Kim remains an active participant in local organizations that shape the community and business landscape in Ottawa South.
Senior Manager and SAP Functional Specialist
Kim was a manager at Accenture, a leading global professional services company providing a broad range of services and solutions in strategy, consulting, technology and operations. She led several engagements that developed and implemented technology solutions to improve clients’ productivity. Her work help enable clients to become high-performance businesses and governments.
- Kim was an effective project manager on several enterprise-wide change initiatives that transformed technical and operational processes in large corporations and government departments.
- Kim’s postal industry expertise led her to consult to national postal organizations both in Canada and the U.S.
- Kim was certified in SAP’s suite of business software. SAP is the market leader in enterprise application software and Kim trained extensively to become a functional expert in Materials Management (MM) solutions.
- She also specialized in process design, a field that trained her to recognize inefficient operational functions in corporations and re-design them into more focused value-added activities. This usually involved the use of technology.
- Kim’s experience on consulting engagements were numerous and diverse. A detailed summary of her work experience, mostly within the Canadian Federal Government, is available here.
Kim’s many project assignments and the diverse skills she acquired during her time with Accenture have been the foundation of other work Kim has pursued since that time.
Some may wonder why I’m searching for the next phase of my working life when I’ve enjoyed the flexibility and freedom of being my own boss. Although I work full-time hours, I’ve been fortunate enough to fit pockets of my personal life around my work day. It was wonderful at that point in my life and I feel lucky to have had that balance.
Being a sole-proprietor comes with its own challenges and I find myself remembering what I liked about working in a team-oriented environment. It was more collaborative and supportive. I enjoyed mentoring people, and being mentored. I liked the opportunity to grow and learn something completely different. I find myself yearning for scheduled and predictable paycheques (and any kind of benefits package) I’d be happy to travel again occasionally. I’d be thankful to feel a part of something bigger than the project at hand.
Mostly, I’m looking to join a workplace that values their people, then rewards them for good work. I’d like to work in an environment that supports fun, intelligent, team-oriented people who believe in common values and goals. I seek a culture that empowers career growth, learning and supports an evolving career journey. If your organization is looking for someone like me…